top of page
  • Writer's pictureJon Moore

Why is my light switch hot?

If your light switch feels hot to the touch, it could be an indication of an underlying electrical problem that needs to be addressed. Here are some potential causes:

  1. Overloaded circuit: If the circuit that the switch is connected to is overloaded, it can cause the switch to get hot. This is because too much electricity is flowing through the wires, which can cause them to heat up.

  2. Loose wiring: If the wiring behind the switch is loose or damaged, it can cause electrical arcing. This can create heat and potentially start a fire.

  3. Defective switch: If the switch itself is defective, it can cause it to heat up. This is usually due to a short circuit within the switch.

  4. Improperly installed switch: If the switch was not installed properly, it can cause the wires to become loose or damaged. This can create a hazardous situation.

If you notice that your light switch is hot to the touch, it is important to turn off the circuit breaker for that switch and to contact a qualified electrician to diagnose and address the issue. Ignoring the problem could lead to a fire or other serious safety hazards.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page